Construction Crew Leader, full-time
As a Construction Crew Leader, you are integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with hands on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, roofing, finish carpentry, landscaping and clean up. Additionally, you will lead small groups of volunteers, providing them with on-site orientations and safety talks and ensuring that they are well-employed while on work sites. On occasion, you may participate in larger community projects or affiliate events.
Please Note: while construction experience is helpful, it is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver’s license
• Personal vehicle
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
• Ability (or willingness to learn) to drive large pick-up trucks
• Experience with power tools
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
Benefits of Service:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $13,732 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Housing stipend of $300 per month
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will recruit and/or manage 400 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation, or repair of homes. You will participate in two (2) community outreach projects and will help us complete eight (8) new builds and several Critical Home Repair and Rehab projects in support of 12-23 families. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time & project management construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve)